Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
The Dan Rather Medals for News and Guts honor the process of journalism as much as the end product. They will be awarded to professional and collegiate journalists who go the extra yard — overcoming obstacles like stonewalling and harassment — to get the story that tells truth to power.
The awards program has two categories: Professional and Student Media.
The journalistic content—text, audio, broadcast, video or graphics—must be published or aired to the public.
- Open to United States news media in the form of print, broadcast, radio or digital. Freelance journalists are eligible.
- Published or broadcast between Jan. 1, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2021. A series is eligible, but all content must be completed within the eligibility date range.
- Collaborations are eligible for entry and count as one submission.
- Journalists, a team of journalists, organizations or collaborations can submit up to two entries.
Note: Team entries must indicate a project team lead for contact.
What to Submit:
- A single news story or up to three dated pieces in a series.
- If the entry is a series, applicants may upload up to three installments/episodes for review by the judges, in chronological order.
- A detailed statement (between 600 and 800 words) describing how the content meets the selection criteria of overcoming extraordinary conditions in reporting.
- Your statement and media materials are all submitted online through the Dan Rather Medals submission system. Media files must be uploaded directly to the submission portal for consideration.
Finalists and winners will be notified on March 9, 2022.
More information can be found on the Dan Rather Medals website.